Veterinary Dermatology Care
Cats and dogs often suffer from skin infections and diseases. The Bluffs Pet Clinic doctors can diagnose many of the disorders that affect your pet’s skin, ears, hair, and nails. Some common skin problems include:
- Parasitic infections (fleas and mites)
- Autoimmune diseases
- Bacterial/Fungal infections
- Hereditary hair loss
- Skin Cancer
The Bluffs Pet Clinic team uses various diagnostic techniques such as skin scraping, biopsies, allergy serum, and cytology testing. The tests are performed in our in-house laboratory which allows us to quickly identify skin problems and provide an effective treatment plan for your pet.
Does your pet suffer from allergies?
Cats and dogs can develop food and environmental allergies just like humans. The Bluffs Pet Clinic offers pet allergy testing to help identify potential allergic conditions affecting your pet’s health, along with customized treatment plans to help them feel better fast. Common pet allergies include include flea, food, and environmental allergies:
- Flea allergies—Some cats and dogs are allergic to flea bite saliva and experience intense itching and inflammation at the bite site.
- Food allergies—Your pet may be hypersensitive to certain food proteins. Common food allergens in dogs include beef, dairy, wheat, and chicken. Cat food allergens include beef, dairy, and fish.
- Environmental allergies—Also known as seasonal allergies or atopic/inhaled dermatitis, these conditions occur when your pet is allergic to pollens, grasses, mold, mildew, and dust mites.
Pet Allergies Signs & Symptoms
The following symptoms could be a sign that your pet has an allergy:
- Recurrent ear or skin infections
- Excessive scratching/licking of face, limbs, stomach, or rear end
- Chronic diarrhea and vomiting
- Repeated biting or chewing of skin
- Hair loss
If you notice any of the above symptoms, please contact us as soon as possible. Untreated allergies can lead to additional infections and complicated health issues. Our doctors can offer professional advice on medical treatments and holistic therapies.
Pet Allergy Testing
The Bluffs Pet Clinic offers allergy testing for cats and dogs in Red Wing, MN. For environmental allergies, we perform serum testing using a blood sample from your pet. Food allergy testing involves experimenting with various foods to determine which foods are most appropriate for your pet's diet and which foods should be avoided. If your pet tests positive for a specific food, we recommend eliminating that food to see if your pet’s health improves. If allergic symptoms continue, we may recommend hyposensitive injections. We have also been very successful in treating pet allergies with herbal therapies and acupuncture.
To learn more about pet allergy and dermatology care at The Bluffs Pet Clinic please contact us.